27 November 2014

Thank You!

Last night I had a dream that I held a miniature house made of wood. It was a Victorian style home, intricately carved by hand, with a hinged wall that opened up to reveal tiny wooden figures inside and their furnishings, including an upright piano. It came to be that I was standing in front of an audience, explaining that the house was made by Great Grandfather in Germany when my Grandmother had to leave because of the war, "Like so many people have to do, even to this day. No one deserves to have to leave their home, the place they love."

When you have a dream like this, that feels so possible to be real, it's hard to not keep thinking about it during waking hours. I've decided it was a reminder that I spend a lot of time thinking about what I don't have, when the best things are right here - My home. Helen Keller said "Be happy with what you have, while working for what you want."  It's ringing true for me right now.

Five is a great number, it's the age of my son. Here are five things that I am thankful for:

 5. My 18 year old deaf kitty, who can still climb into our laps and purr and lick our faces when we sleep in.
 4. The early morning bike ride with my son to his school.
 3. My garden, even in the winter when everything turns brown and hibernates.
 2. Good food, like a slider slowburger, or fresh roast beef and kale salad on a hike in the rainy falls. Or a housemade spicy chai from the local coffee/donut shop.


1. My family. They keep me smiling, and tolerate my art making like I tolerate their fart jokes.







How about you? What are you thankful for?

No comments: