20 December 2010

Paper Bag Sketches

Golly... another bunch of craft sales come and gone. Now it's time to wind down and get some gifts wrapped and under the tree. Once again I am amazed by the comradery and support of the crafty world. We live on and on, finding our income... somehow!

I generally try and stay focused on smiling and socializing at these events but with a lot of hours spent sitting on a metal folding chair at a booth for hours one does need to do something with one's hands. Most crafters I spy with crochet hooks in hand but I am usually doodling the ceiling rafters and lighting fixtures. If I am lucky I can do some portraits but I try not to creep anyone out with my constant glances for too long. That said, I did manage to turn out a series of sketches at the Art Department. I had to draw on the paper bags I use as shopping bags because I forgot my sketchbook.





With the first drawings, my mind was very much on other things...


Daydreaming about who knows what, I guess you could say my head was in the clouds.


At some point my gaze turned towards some of the interesting footwear of the shoppers...



And then back towards the fixtures in my booth....




I was seated near an awesome vintage trailer, I fantasized about running away and living in the woods in this thing ... could you imagine the gas money? Having this thing hitched to the back of you? Look out, summer....

As the sale drew to a close I felt a little more cavalier and decided to sketch my booth neighbor, who happened to be the fabulous Girl With a Hook....

She has many awesome armless, torso-less mannequins....





and here she is crocheting another masterpiece, I'm sure....



Thank you for being a willing and accommodating subject!

No comments: