21 May 2008

l - l - l - l - letterpress!

Do you live in the Great Pacific Northwest? Do you know about the Independent Publishing Resource Center? It has been a little office room that has meant a lot to me for the past five years or so.

And now you can find me there every other Thursday (starting tomorrow) as I help out with open print shop hours! Meaning if you're there to print tomorrow, you'll see my smiling face, ready to assist with your printing needs. Ready for anything, really. Cupcakes encouraged.

So, here's the deal: the IPRC, in addition to all the awesome outreach programs, workshops, and extensive zine library, they also offer the best letterpress workshop ANYWHERE. It's $45 for a one day, 6 hour class. You do need to be a member, which I believe is about $40 (yikes, I probably need to renew my membership!) And the workshop is in high demand, so chances are you'll be placed on a waiting list. But, as we all know, good things come to those who wait. This is how I learned letterpress. It wasn't in art school, where the letterpress (nicknamed The Mangler!) was kept under lock and key, alluded to like a ghost in the attic.

Here's a picture of one of my block prints, locked down and ready for printing, at the IPRC:



Okay, now go and check out the IPRC!

5 comments:

Emily said...

What a beautiful picture!

Lisa said...

that sounds like a great program! too bad im a thousand miles away... i would bring you a cupcake too! :)

i got an etsy treasury and added you!
it is "i love their art and their blogs"

loaded hips press said...

Lisa, I love your treasury!
Found some new favorites.

Anitra Cameron said...

Wow. Does that bring back the memories. My first job in college was in a print shop, where I ran the letter press. There's nothing quite like them, is there?

And I do live in Portland...

Janice La Verne said...

i think i might have to come to portland . in 10th grade me and Karen C. joined the bad boys in print shop and i was in love. (with the drawers of type not the boys...i'm the kinda girl that likes girls) oh, i digress... but i have wanted to hear that squishy ink sound ever since and watch the rollers cover the type. so, ok a seed is planted. sorry for the long comment.
janice from eugene